Vegetarian Khoresche Esfanaj
Traditionally made with lamb, this dish is one of the oldest traditional
recipes of the mideast. It has been used for centuries during Ramadan,
the month-long period of fasting from sunrise to sunset. Muslims
traditionally gather after sundown for family dinners and
Preparation: 2 hours
- 3 c. chunky TVP soaked for an hour in
1/4 c. marmite dissolved in 6 c. boiling water
- 2 medium onions (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp powdered turmeric
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 6 scallion tops (minced)
- 2 bunches celery, leaves only (minced)
- 1 1/2 pounds spinach leaves (chopped)
- 2 Tbs fresh dill (minced)
- 1/2 cup dried pea beans (soaked for several hours)
- Fry the onions in 2 Tbs oil.
- Add the TVP, pepper, turmeric, broth and lemon juice.
- Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Wilt the vegetables in a frying pan without adding water, stirring constantly.
- Add remaining oil and fry the veggies for 5 minutes.
- Add veggies and dill to the TVP mixture.
- Add pea beans, and simmer for 45 minutes or until pea beans and meat are tender.
- Serve with couscous.
If you have comments or suggestions,
Amanda's Kitchen is devoted to introducing healthy
vegetarian and vegan cooking to everyone's kitchen.
Page last updated: November 25, 2000
This page created with Netscape Navigator Gold