Preparation: 60 minutes
- 1 medium eggplant, washed.
- Large pot of boiling water.
- 1 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1/4 cup salad oil or olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 medium green pepper cut in
- 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 tomato skinned and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil or I teaspoon fresh chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano or
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 Cup bread or corn flakes crumbs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Wash eggplant and cover with boiling water.
- Add 1 T of the salt and boil 20 minutes. Turn it several times to cook evenly, since it will float on the top of the water.
- Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Peel the eggplant and cut in 1/4-inch cubes.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and lightly saute the onion.
- Stir in the eggplant, green pepper, tomato, basil, oregano, remaining salt and pepper.
- Place eggplant mixture in a greased medium casserole.
- Mix crumbs and oil.
- Cover the egglpnat mixture with oiled crumbs.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven about 30 minutes, or until well-browned.
Back to Casseroles and Meals
Back to Side Dishes
Back to Recipe Index
Back to Recipe Categories
If you have comments or suggestions,
Amanda's Kitchen is devoted to introducing healthy
vegetarian and vegan cooking to everyone's kitchen.
Page last updated: November 25, 2000
This page created with Netscape Navigator Gold