Lentil Soup (Shourbet Adas)
A soup traditionally used to break the fast during Ramadan.
Preparation: 40 minutes
- 1 1/2 c. red lentils (washed and drained)
- 5 c. water
- 4 T oil
- 1 T chopped parsley
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon and coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 c. toasted pita bread cut into cubes
- Green onions & green olives for garnish (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, boil the water and lentils.
- When the skim/foam appears, remove it with a spoon and lower the heat.
- Let the lentils simmer for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add the onion and stir until it turns into a yellow color.
- Pour it on the lentil and mix in the cinnamon, coriander and salt.
- Garnish with green onions, olives and parsley and serve with pita bread.
If you have comments or suggestions,
Amanda's Kitchen is devoted to introducing healthy
vegetarian and vegan cooking to everyone's kitchen.
Page last updated: November 25, 2000
This page created with Netscape Navigator Gold