Australian "Meat" Pie
Ovo with vegan option
Preparation: 60 minutes
Makes 8 small pies
Ingredients for Pie filling:
Ingredients for Pie Base:
- 2 c. boiling water
- 3 T vegemite (marmite)
- 2 c ground TVP
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- Salt & pepper
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 pinch Nutmeg
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 1/4 cup Water - extra
- 1 tsp Soy sauce
2 cups flourIngredients for Pie Top:
2/3 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
2 oz vegetable shortening
1 package 12 oz lard-free puff pastry
1 egg yolk (optional; soy milk can be substituted)
1 tsp Water
Making the filling:
To make pie base:
- In a saucepan, dissolve the vegemite in boiling water.
- Add the TVP and soak until he water is absorbed (5 minutes)
- Add the vegetable oil, water, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Stir until boiling and then reduce heat, cover, simmer gently for 20 min.
- Remove from heat.
- Combine extra water and flour, and stir until flour mixture is smooth.
- Add the flour mixture to the TVP and stir until combined.
- Return to heat, stir until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Add soy sauce (to give brown colour) and stir until combined.
- Simmer, uncovered, 5 to 10 min and then remove from heat and cool.
- Sift flour and salt into basin.
- Heat water and shortening in a saucepan, stirring until the shortening melts
- Make a well in centre of dry ingredients, add liquid, and stir until combined.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface, knead lightly.
- Roll out pastry to line eight greased pie tins.
- Cut excess pastry around sides of pie plates using a sharp knife.
- Fill centres with cold "meat" filing.
- Roll out puff pastry on lightly floured surface.
- Cut out rounds for top of pies, use a saucer as a guide.
- Wet edges of base pastry, and gently press tops into place, trim around edges with a sharp knife.
- Brush tops with combined egg-yolk and water (optional; soy milk can be substituted).
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until golden brown
- Reduce heat to 325F and then cook for another 10 min.
If you have comments or suggestions,
Amanda's Kitchen is devoted to introducing healthy
vegetarian and vegan cooking to everyone's kitchen.
Page last updated: May 26, 2001
This page created with Netscape Navigator Gold