Rice and Lentil SaladVegan
Preparation: 90 minutes
- 1 c. uncooked brown rice
- ¼ c. balsamic vinegar
- 4 T olive oil
- 2 T capers, chopped
- 1 T fresh thyme, or ½ tsp dried
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 1 c. green beans cut into 1” pieces
- ½ c. dried brown lentil, rinsed
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- 2 yellow peppers, diced
- Cook the rice: In a microwave bowl with a cover, place the brown rice and canola oil. Pour 2 cups of boiling water over top. Cover and microwave on high for 12 minutes and then at 50% power for 20 minutes. Check that the rice is tender. If more cooking is required, microwave in 2 minute intervals at 50% power.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the vinegar, oil, capers, thyme, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bowl 8 cups of water.
- Add green beans and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove the beans with a slotted spoon into a colander and rinse with cold water.
- Add the rinsed lentils to the cooking water.
- Cook the lentils for 25 minutes or until tender.
- Turn off heat and allow lentils to stand 5 minutes before draining.
- In a large serving bowl, put the cooked lentils, the cooked rice and ¼ cup of the vinaigrette.
- Cool for about 25 minutes with occasional stirring before adding the remaining vinaigrette, green beans, tomato, and yellow pepper.
Low cal, low fat and good source of fiber and protein..
If you have comments or suggestions,
Amanda's Kitchen is devoted to introducing healthy
vegetarian and vegan cooking to everyone's kitchen.
Page last updated: May 25, 2000
This page created with Netscape Navigator Gold