Lacto; Vegan option
Preparation: 30 minutes
- 12 oz seitan (or 4 veggie burgers)
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 T canola oil
- 1 lb mushrooms, sliced
- 2 T butter or margarine
- 1/2 c white wine
- 2T unbleached flour
- 1 1/2 c. vegetable broth
- 1 T tomato paste
- 1 tsp English or Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 c. sour cream or plain yogourt, either dairy or soy (optional)
- 1 lb fresh fettuccini noodles (dried ok)
- Boil a large pot of water for the noodles.
- Cut the seitan or veggie burgers into ¼ inch strips.
- Heat oil over medium heat and sauté the onions until soft.
- Add the mushrooms and butter or margarine and sauté for 5 minutes until mushrooms are golden.
- Add wine and cook several minutes, until the liquid is reduced by half. (As the sauce is cooking, put the noodles into the pot of water to cook.)
- Stir in the flour and gradually add the vegetable broth.
- Stir in the tomato paste, mustard, salt pepper and seitan strips.
- Cook 2 – 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Mix in sour cream or yogourt (optional).
- Heat through but do not boil.
- Serve over the noodles.
Fettucine, linguini and regular spaghetti work great in this too.
If you have comments or suggestions,
Amanda's Kitchen is devoted to introducing healthy
vegetarian and vegan cooking to everyone's kitchen.
Transfer interrupted!: May 25, 2000
This page created with Netscape Navigator Gold